I’m drowning in vegetables! I can’t keep up with the bounty from my garden right now. Lots of harvesting and cooking. Today’s project was bread and butter pickles. I’ve always made dill pickles so going sweet was a new departure for me. I actually ended up using a recipe from the latest issue of Cooking Light magazine, not because I needed a light version of pickles (!) but simply because I think their recipes are always very well-tested and produce consistently good results. This was no exception.
- 5 1/2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
hours. Drain; rinse cucumbers under cold water. Drain; return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to bowl.
2. Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008